Quick Notes on Magic Lantern for 550D
i.e. – probably not worth reading what’s here …
I’ve just got this working (my camera is not bricked!), my forum membership has not been granted, so I can’t update the various wikis. Instead here I’ll just detail what I had to do to.
- start with the wiki installation notes
- Where it says “newer autoexec.bin available” – download it, but bear in mind that the manual gain does NOT work, due to a small bug. Until I can get a new build on the wiki or whatever (GPL means I can’t conveniently distribute my build), you’ll have to build it yourself. More on that later
- The OSX auto-boot notes at the end are accurate, but incomplete. You will need to have the card unmounted but not ejected. You do that via Disk Utility, which will also tell you whether your card’s FAT16 or FAT32. To find out whether it’s
disk1s1or not, use
diskutilon the command line
- To un-make the card bootable under OSX (where you don’t have CardTricks) simply rename it. Without a bootable card called “EOS_DEVELOP” your camera is exactly as it was before.
You should now have a bootable card which display magic lantern message, slightly redundant extra ISO/shutter info and, crucially, you get on-screen audio meters. But you still get audio auto-gain.
To defeat the auto-gain, this thread mentions a new
autoexec.bin but if you read to the end, you’ll see it’s been discovered that the name for the config file, “
magiclantern.cfg” is too long for the 550D’s brain. You need to shorten it to an 8.3 filename, and put that name into the
5d-hack.c file (e.g. I went with “
magilant.cfg“, others favour “
magic.cfg“), then build your own. Again, there are build instructions but I had to deviate from them. My notes are below, they’re terse and this will only work if you have some idea of what you’re doing:
• need newer
gnutar to run summon-arm script (and make script use it)
• need to get mercurial (via MacPorts)
• makefile patch out of date. Only had to: modify arm path, gcc version (I get 4.5.2, they’re talking about 4.3.2)
• link problems – zero-byte .lds file causing trouble. deleted it. got rebuilt
But the reward is this: audio meters onscreen and silence when there should be silence.